Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
For the Asparagus:
1 bunch asparagus
4 thick slices bacon
1 Tbsp melted coconut or avocado oil
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp sea salt
For the Pesto:
1 bunch garlic scapes, ends cut off
1 cup packed basil leaves
⅓ cup pine nuts
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic Dressing
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Wash and chop the garlic scapes into 2-inch pieces and set aside.
3. Chop about ½ inch off the ends of the asparagus pieces, then line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the asparagus in the melted coconut oil, garlic powder and sea salt.
4. Bake the asparagus for 12-15 minutes, until it begins to brown.
5. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet until cooked through, but not yet crispy (about 5-6 minutes total, depending on the thickness of your bacon).
6. At the same time, toast the pine nuts and garlic scapes in a small skillet over medium low heat with 1 tsp olive oil, shaking the pan to move them around about every minute. It should take about 5 minutes until the garlic scapes begin to brown and the pine nuts are lightly toasted, then remove from the heat and allow them to cool for about minute.
7. Combine the rest of the ingredients except the Tessemae’s dressing in the food processor with the cooled pine nuts and garlic scapes.
8. Add in the Lemon Garlic dressing, pulse until all the ingredients are combined into a paste.
9. Once the asparagus is done, carefully wrap the bacon around 2-4 bundles of asparagus and secure with a toothpick. Top with pesto, and devour!
10. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a few days, though I doubt you’ll have any!
Note: The pesto will yield 1 cup. This is probably more than you need for this recipe, so feel free to use the leftovers in any delicious way you want!