All the special new mushrooms we have available in our store call for a simple recipe to cook them with! Quite different from the canned variety we grew up with, try this earthy and filling broth-based mushroom soup using our Local Spores box or any of the other special new varieties we have in our store. Serve this with grilled cheese for a comforting dinner for about 4, depending on hunger levels. You can find all the ingredients here in our marketplace!
- A knob of butter
- Half a pound of carrots, scrubbed and sliced
- One onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and mincedHalf a bunch of thyme, leaves removed and minced
- 6-16 oz of mushrooms, (depending on how much you love them!) sliced thinly
- 2 quarts of stock, chicken or veggie
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium heat, adding in your carrots and onions. After five minutes have passed, add your garlic and thyme. No need to wait until everything is completely soft - these veggies will continue to cook in the soup. Remove from the pot and place in a big bowl.
- Add a bit more butter to the pot and start cooking your sliced mushrooms. The key to cooking mushrooms is to never crowd the pot - making sure each piece has its own space. This will ensure the mushrooms will cook by caramelization rather than by steam. This might take a few batches to cook them all. Add the mushrooms to the bowl as they are done cooking.
- Once all the mushrooms are cooked, dump all the veggies back into the pot, adding your broth, salt and pepper. Simmer slowly for about thirty minutes, giving all the flavors a chance to blend together. Ready!