Whether its Cinco de Mayo or just Taco Tuesday, we love any excuse to cook up some of our favorite food things - farm fresh vegetables, herbs, cheese, spices and decadent meats. And avocado on everything!
Celebrate this week with delicious tacos, made simple by prepping meat in the slow cooker and brought to life with vibrant cilantro, fresh tomato and creamy avocados. Add in a fresh margarita and you’re all set!
2 lbs chicken breast or pork shoulder
24 oz jar of salsa verde
8-10 small corn or flour tortillas
1 large (or 2 small) tomato, diced
1/2 onion (red or white - your choice), diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
other accouterments, such as sliced avocado, shredded cheese, pico de gallo & sour cream
1. Begin the morning of your Fiesta Taco meal by placing the chicken or pork in the slow cooker, and pouring your favorite salsa verde on top of it - making sure the entire piece(s) of meat is covered. Cover pot with lid and set on low for 8 hours. (If you do not have a slow cooker, you can cook on your stovetop in a Dutch oven on low for 3-4 hours.)
2. Then, mix your onion and cilantro together and set aside, covered, in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
3. Once meat is cooked, it should fall apart easily. Using two forks, shred meat and place back in cooking liquid. Now its time to make your tacos!
4. Fill each taco with meat, top with onion/cilantro mix, fresh diced tomatoes, salsa and other toppings of your choice.
5. Enjoy with an ice cold marg!