We love eating with the change of the seasons - and this dish is a perfect example of that. With summer's eggplant lingering, and heartier options like carrots and kale sprouting up, we combined the best of these two seasonal worlds and made a perfect meal.
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 onion, diced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp smoked paprika
1-2 eggplant (depending on size), cubed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch Dino kale, stemmed & chopped
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
1. Cook 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock; bring to a boil, then simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender and fluffy.
2. While the quinoa cooks, toast 1/4 cup pine nuts in a dry (no oil) pan over medium-high heat on the stovetop until the nuts are lightly toasted; set aside.
3. Sauté onion in a large pan with a tablespoon high-heat oil until translucent and soft.
4. Add two teaspoons cumin, one teaspoon turmeric, and one teaspoon smoked paprika, stirring until the spices become fragrant.
5. Add in another tablespoon of high-heat oil to the pan, along with the eggplant and garlic; sauté until the eggplant and garlic are lightly cooked. Then, add kale and carrot and cook until the kale wilts.
6. Once veggies are finished cooking, combine with the quinoa, raisins, and pine nuts. Add salt and pepper to taste - even a dash of balsamic vinegar is a great addition!
7. Serve as a side dish, or as the main attraction, for a punch of protein and seasonal flavor.