We've been constantly trying to keep cool around here. The temps have reached all-time highs and the humidity is a (very unwelcome) cherry on top. So, along with keeping our plates full of foods requiring minimal cooking (like this + this), we've been playing around with fun & refreshing ways to stay hydrated.
Enter: delightfully delicious + fruitfully fresh agua fresca!
Primarily served in Central and North America, agua fresca is typically made with fresh, seasonal fruit blended together with water and served unfiltered. Because its unfiltered with the fruit fibers still present, its less likely to spike your blood sugar, as most fruit juices do. We love to also use herbs, such as mint or basil, to add fun flavor to the drink, too!
Summery + Seasonal Agua Fresca
Makes 1-2 servings
- 1 cup chopped fruit of choice - we love cantaloupe, berries, watermelon and even cucumber!
- 1 cup filtered water
- Sweetener of choice (honey, sugar, agave, etc), to taste*
- 2-3 leaves basil or mint
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Ice for serving
*Note: If your fruit is sweet enough on its own, you may not need any sweetener. If we do use a little honey or sugar, though, we recommend adding just about 1 teaspoon or so.
- Prep your fruit by peeling or hulling it, then roughly chop.
- Toss all ingredients (except ice) in a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix or Blendtec.
- Serve with ice and a herb sprig. Enjoy!
Our give $30, get $30 offer is running for one last week, until April 15th! Share From the Farmer with your friends and help us bring amazingly fresh food to their doors :)