As one of our favorite meals, we surely can’t turn down a bowl of steamy soup! Not only does this blended soup, with heat-invoking spices like curry and ginger, give you those warm and fuzzies that make you want to curl up on the couch with your favorite blanket, but it can also fuel you with a serious nutrient punch.
This slightly sweet and creamy concoction will have you going back for another ladle – especially on chilly or rainy days when you need to hike your temp from the inside out!
2 apples, cored & peeled
3 parsnips, peeled
1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
3 1/2 – 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 1/2 cup red lentils
salt & pepper, to taste
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, drizzle about two tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Chop both apples and parsnips to about 1 in. pieces, then add them to the warmed pan; sauté for about 5 minutes, then add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 more minutes.
3. Add spices (except salt and pepper) and stir into the apple and parsnip mixture until the fragrance blooms.
4. Pour stock into the pan; bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes or until parsnips become tender. Allow to cool slightly.
5. While the apple and parsnips are cooling, cook lentils by bringing 2 cups filtered water and the lentils to a boil in a small pot, then simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 15 mins); set aside.
6. Puree apple and parsnip mixture in a strong blender or with an immersion blender until smooth, adding more stock to thin the soup, if necessary; add salt and pepper at this time to taste.
7. Combine lentils and soup in a large saucepan and heat on the stove until warmed.
8. Ladle into bowls and top with a sprig of parsley, or a dollop of pesto for a pretty presentation and delicious flavor. Enjoy!