There’s little else as wonderful as a bowl of pasta, rolled out by hand, carefully dried, then recreated in a dish filled with love and comfort. When you fill your bowl with handmade pasta, sauce and other provisions backed with a story, you warm both bellies and hearts.
Make this delicious pasta dish for your loved ones, creating it as you wish – with delectable Sweet Italian sausage, or completely veggie-based with mushrooms and spinach. Looking to add a little tang? Finish the dish off with goat cheese or some sharp parmesan. Go wherever your tongue takes you!
1 package Sfoglini fusilini pasta
1 jar classic or spicy pasta sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 package Sweet Italian sausage, sliced
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1 pint crimini mushrooms, quartered
handful spinach, roughly chopped
1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook fusilini until al dente (about 5-8 mins); drain the pasta, then set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, heat pasta sauce on low-medium heat until warmed.
3. Then, heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add onion and cook over medium-high heat, stirring until softened (about 4-5 mins); add sausage and crushed red pepper to the pan and cook until sausage is no longer pink in the middle (if you’re omitting sausage, skip this step).
4. Add mushrooms and sauté for about 5-8 mins, then stir in spinach, cooking until wilted.
5. Combine pasta, sauce, onion, sausage, mushrooms, and spinach in a large bowl.
6. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parmesan or your favorite goat cheese!