Mild tomatillo pairs well with spicy raw garlic and jalapeño in this fresh green salsa recipe. Start with a seeded jalapeño to monitor the spice level – you can always add in the seeds or a second pepper to dial up the heat. Try this on pork carnitas tacos, as a topping for your grilled veggies, or to snack on with tortilla chips.
Raw Tomatillo Salsa
- 4 medium tomatillos (about 8 ounces total), husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled + quartered
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed + roughly chopped
- ½ to ⅔ cup loosely packed cilantro, roughly chopped
- Combine tomatillos, garlic, chile and cilantro in a blender jar or food processor*. Add 1/4 cup water and a generous 1/2 teaspoon salt. Process to a coarse puree. *If using a blender, begin blending on low, at first pulsing to get the mixture moving evenly through the blender blades.
- Pour into a salsa dish and thin with a little more water if necessary to give the salsa an easily spoonable consistency.
- Taste and season with additional salt, if you think necessary. Serve right away.