There’s nothing quite like seeing the seasonal fruit turn from crisp apples to sweet, sweet berries. Its a time of year that many wait for in anticipation, and once they arrive its difficult to not eat the entire container in one sitting.
We’ll tell you now, though – its worth setting aside some of the season’s best strawberries for these Strawberry-Rhubarb Bars. Adapted from Against All Grain‘s recipe, these bars are so delicious (and healthy) that it will be difficult to keep the pan full once they come out of the oven. If you do have any self-restraint, they freeze very well when cut into squares and wrapped in parchment paper, then stored in a freezer bag or other freezer-safe storage container.
2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup fresh rhubarb, finely chopped
2 cups frozen or fresh strawberries
1/8 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1 1/2 cups almond flour
2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/8 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine crust ingredients into a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Press crust dough into a 8×8 in baking pan lined with parchment paper. Pop into the oven for about 12-14 mins.
2. Once crust is out of the oven, turn oven heat up to 375 degrees.
3. Combine rhubarb, strawberries, and other jam ingredients in a saucepan. Cook on low-medium heat, stirring continuously here and there until the mixture’s thickened to a jam-like consistency – about 20 minutes. Take off the stove and spread evenly over the baked crust layer.
4. Combine crumb mixture in a small bowl and mix until crumbly topping has formed. Sprinkle over the jam layer, then put bars in the oven for about 30 mins. The crumb topping will brown lightly.
5. Once completely cooled, cut into those bars and just try not to eat the whole pan (or do). Enjoy!